Yesterday was my birthday and one of the “traditions” I have is to go to whatever huge movie is opening that weekend. Last night I had the awesome treat of seeing the Thursday release of the highly-hugely-ginormously anticipated opening for Captain America: Civil War, the 3rd installment in the Captain America series (13th in the Marvel Cinematic Universe). Of course, like many others I went in with high expectations of the film, but even I wasn’t prepared for just how good this one was. I mean, really, it was damn near perfect.
Without going into any spoilers, here are just a few thoughts I had:
- First and foremost, after the first 10 minutes into the movie I had one still-unanswered question: when in the hell are we going to get a Black Widow movie? Because damn!
- Whoever did the casting for T’Challa/Black Panther deserves a medal. I think I’m in love.
- Fight scenes = EPIC.
- Spiderman!!!!! (And I will say that I like this version of Peter Parker/Spidey better than the last two).
- When Ant-Man did that thing. You’ll know what I’m talking about when you see it.
- The story regarding the conflict was not what I was expecting, and it made for a pleasantly, unpleasant surprise.
- The humor and jokes were funny without feeling forced.
The only complaint I had was the fact that Bruce Banner and Thor were missing, but their absences did not take away from the film at all.
You’ll be able to hear my full thoughts when we discuss the film on the Sci-Fi Party Line Podcast. Until then, make sure you go see the film!!
SN: And yes, I’m STILL #TeamCap